From the town of Washington, take U.S. 264 east. Approximately ten miles east of Washington bear right on N.C. 92 to the town of Bath. Once in Bath you will find the visitor center on the right of N.C. 92 (Carteret Street).
From the North Carolina Outer Banks, take U.S. 64 west from Manteo. In Manns Harbor take U.S. 264 west. At Belhaven take N.C. 99 south to N.C. 92 west. This road becomes Carteret Street in Bath, and the visitor center will be on your left.
- Historic Structures
- The Palmer-Marsh House (1751) and the Bonner House (ca. 1830) and its reconstructed kitchen are restored and furnished with period pieces. The Van Der Veer House (ca. 1790) houses a self-guided exhibit on the history of Bath. Though not part of the site, St. Thomas Church (1734) may also be toured.
- Visitor Center
- Guided tours originate at the visitor center. The video Bath: The First Town is shown every fifteen minutes. Restrooms are available here but not at the historic structures.
- Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibit
- Walkways connect the visitor center, Van Der Veer House, and Palmer-Marsh House. A vegetable garden is maintained behind the Van Der Veer House. Harding’s Landing provides access to the site from Bath Creek.
- Handicapped Accessibility
- The visitor center and Van Der Veer House are handicapped accessible. All of the historic homes have steps and are not fully accessible. The site orientation video is captioned for the hearing impaired.
- Picnic Facilities
- Seven picnic tables are available at the picturesque waterfront near the Bonner House.
- Gift Shop
- The gift shop, located in the visitor center, contains items related to Bath and colonial North Carolina.
Programs, Group Activities
Living history demonstrations are given to school groups if they pre-register. Recommended group size: 30-60.
Tours are offered of the Palmer-Marsh House and Bonner House. Tours begin every hour during regular operating hours. We ask that groups make reservations in advance.
House tours: Adults $2,
Students $1 (price includes tours of the Palmer-Marsh and Bonner Houses).