Take Interstate 40 east to Wilmington. The interstate ends and becomes College Road. Take U.S. 17/74 south/west through Wilmington. Remain on this highway to the Southport/Leland exit. Take this exit and follow N.C. 133 south. Go approximately seventeen miles and follow the signs to Brunswick Town. From Southport take N.C. 133 north approximately 15 miles to the site.
- Historic Structures
- The walls of St. Philips Church (1768) and the foundation of Russelborough (ca. 1760), the home of royal governors Arthur Dobbs and William Tryon, are the featured archaeological remains. Numerous other residential foundations of the colonial period are also displayed.
The earthen walls of Confederate Ft. Anderson are also visible.
- Visitor Center
- The visitor center features an audiovisual program that tells the story of Brunswick Town and Ft. Anderson. New exhibits are currently being planned for this recently renovated facility.
- Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits
- Trails through the site are enhanced with outdoor exhibits that tell the history of the colonial town, the exposed foundations, and Fort Anderson.
- Handicapped Accessibility
- The visitor center, rest rooms, and trails are fully accessible for people with disabilities.
- Picnic Facilities
- Tables are available on the grounds.
- Gift Shop
- A gift shop, located in the visitor center, has numerous items related to the colonial and Civil War eras.
Programs, Group Activities
Special events are conducted throughout the year. These programs focus on eighteenth-century colonial life and the nineteenth-century Civil War soldier's life at Ft. Anderson.
Guided tours are available for scheduled groups; otherwise self-guided tour maps are available for visitors.
No admission fees. Donations are accepted.
Return to top of page
Return to the Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson home page