From Interstate 95 take exit 168. Follow the signs south on N.C. 903 to the town of Halifax. Directional signs will guide you to the site on business U.S. 301 at the corner of St. David and Dobbs Streets.


Historic Structures
Furnished homes are the Owens House (1760), Sally-Billy Plantation House (1808), and the Burgess Law Office (1808). Other buildings include the Eagle Tavern (1790), Tap Room (1790), Clerk of Court’s Office (1833), Jail (1838), and the Montfort archaeological exhibit
Visitor Center
The visitor center features a 2,000-square-foot exhibit area and a thirteen-minute orientation program depicting the history of the first eighty years of Halifax and the surrounding area.
Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits
The Roanoke River overlook, a colonial cemetery, and an African American cemetery are all features of the site.
Handicapped Accessibility
The visitor center is accessible to all visitors. Historic structures all require the ability to negotiate steps.
Picnic Facilities
Fifteen tables are available at the site.
Gift Shop
A sales desk is located in the visitor center with a variety of souvenirs and books.

Programs, Group Activities

Halifax Day is held each April 12 to commemorate the adoption of the Halifax Resolves. A Christmas program is held the second weekend in December. Group tours are available with hands-on activities. Contact the tour group coordinator for details.


No admission fees for most events. Donations are accepted, and always appreciated.

Return to top of page

Return to the Historic Halifax home page