The House in the Horseshoe is located 16 miles west of Sanford off N.C. Highway
42, and 10 miles north of Carthage on the Carbonton-Carthage Road.
- Historic Structures
- The site includes the Alston House (1772) with four furnished rooms, a reconstructed loom house with working loom, corn crib, and wellhouse.
- Visitor Center
- The greeting station is an old packhouse with a small exhibit, sales desk, and offices.
- Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits
- A monument commemorating the July 29, 1781, skirmish was erected at the site by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). The grave of Gov. Benjamin Williams, along with that of his wife Elizabeth, his son, and daughter-in-law, has been relocated to the site.
- Handicapped Accessibility
- The historic house and greeting station have steps and are accessible only with assistance.
- Picnic Facilities
- Picnic tables are available on the grounds.
- Gift Shop
- A sales desk with items related to House in the Horseshoe is located in the greeting station.
Programs, Group Activities
Three annual programs are held at the site including the battle reenactment on the first full weekend in August. Musket demonstrations and other hands-on activities are available to scheduled groups upon request.
Guided tours are offered to visitors upon arrival. We ask that groups make reservations in advance.
No admission fees. Donations are accepted and appreciated.
Return to top of page
Return to the House in the Horseshoe home page