The Lake Chapel [excavated foundation 16' x 48'] was built around 1837 for the religious instruction of the enslaved community. The chapel was reputed to house the largest pre-Civil War Episcopal congregation in North Carolina. Between 1837 and 1863, the chapel's parish register names 55 enslaved couples who were married, 699 people baptized, 233 confirmed, 253 communicants, and 230 buried.

The Lake Chapel

The Lake Chapel As rendered by W. S. Tarlton

Lake Chapel Plan

Chapel Interior Plan As rendered by John Sykes, 1999
(1) Altar (2) Lectern (3) Pulpit (4) Altar Rail (5) Litany Desk (6) Font

Lake Chapel Foudation Ruins

Chapel Foundation Ruins


Return to top of page

Return to the Somerset Place home page